Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Sammie Stroughter explains his absence




Sammie Stroughter has suffered the loss of 3 people he knows this summer based on a today's press release- READ MORE

The cliff notes: 2 men who were close to Sammie and Coach Gilstrap died, thus causing him to wig out and bail on his team.

My Opinion: I've have lost multiple family members in a matter of 6 months before, and I know how difficult it can be to go through the grieving process. I've cried, I've asked why, I've hugged it out with remaining family members, I've gotten shit faced drunk, I've laid in bed for too long, etc. etc.

The only things that really helped with getting through the grieving process was to get exercise, dive back into work, and be around supportive people. Eventually you get through it and rationalize the loss and move on with your life like you should.

Sammy's behavior is kinda weird in my opinion. If I were him I would thank god everyday that I had football to take me away from thinking about the people I miss. I would want to be around my teammates too. I was on a team that could barely win a game, and I still loved the guys I played with.....well not all of them, but enough that being with them was important to me. The fact that the team needs me was also important....I am not saying they really needed me, but I felt like I would be letting people I cared about down. Sammy could care less.

Ok, I am glad that God and family is important to Sammy, but it is for a lot of us in the world. Sammie is immature. He doesn't get it. Maybe he is a world class student and is going to graduate school or something....maybe he has something to fall back on besides football..........but I doubt it. I know when I was playing all I could think about was football. It was only after I was done did I get to spend time learning and enjoying the real college experience.

I admit I don't know much about Sammy's family, income levels, academic background, etc.

But I can tell you he is screwing up. Coach Gilstrap would tell him to get back on the field and play for the people you loved that are gone. He would also tell him to play for himself.

Message to Sammie: Catharsis is good...use football to get free.......





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are many things more important than football...

As much as I do wish he would return.

Anonymous said...

wow that was an incredibly insensitive article, people deal with grief in different ways and you should respect that.

Suzanne said...

The jokes on you my friend! OSU did need Sammie and now the Bucs are PROUD to have him. Sammie is more of a man than you will ever be as evidenced by his willingness to help people in need which is in stark contrast to your willingness to tear them down when they need support the most. Clinical depression is just that a MEDICAL diagnosis not an excuse. You are really a sad individual and if you are any reflection of the people "supporting" OSU athletics, God bless them. Have a great life writing a blog that tears down the players that you claim to support. Oh, and while you are at it, check out Sammie and his amazing athletic ability as he exhibits it in the NFL on a weekly basis. Btw, he does have a great family and he will have an education to fall back on if the NFL suddenly doesn't work out. That is more than most players can say.

Webmaster said...

Suzanne-

There is no joke here, and thanks for your timely comment.

As far as tearing down anyone, I was posting my opinion- get over it.

Football is a physically and mentally cathartic sport, being around your teammates, focusing on the game, these are all good things. Especially when the world around you is spinning. I know I've been there. You haven't.

It would help if you actually played the sport. I did, and I played for OSU during the "character" building years. You might know what I am talking about if you did too.