Sunday, January 06, 2008

Spring ball starts March 31st

The Gazette Times has a nice list of the Beavers depth chart. (thx Beaver Sports News)

Interestingly, our DB's are all returning starters basically-Hughes, Payton, Afalava, Lewis. Only bummer is that this group was horrible compared to our run defense....well, actually our pass defense was bottom tier of the Pac-10, and bottom quartile nationally. I think that the big plays hurt our pass defense, but they need to improve alot.

The d-line has proven players returning, Booth, Norris and Butler were productive when they played. I think some younger players will add value in 2008.

The linebacking core is a big mystery. All new group. Yes they have played but now they will have to lead. Again I am hoping a freshman or soph steps up and makes a mark. I'd like to see a 4 year starter(s) emerge from the 2008 season.

The QB situation is what will make this spring interesting. I wouldn't be surprised to see a freshman or sophomore step up and put pressure on Moevoa and Canfield. I don't think Riley was pleased with what either brought to the table physically or mentally. Neither Moevoa or Canfield are physical specimens....neither could run a sub 5.0 40 yd dash.....if they can bench their body weight 10 times I'd be surprised.....

On a brighter note, our WR corp will be stronger next year. The TE's need to be productive in the red zone next year. I am not sure Croom and Camp will deliver. We need a starter in this position asap. It seemed like Riley had to rotate guys all year long. Dare I say I miss a certain 3 down TE from last year??

The o-line looks pretty good, but they will miss Scheuning's leadership for sure. 7 out of the 10 on the depth chart have either started or lettered in 2007. Thompson's return will be huge. Perry is great if he can stay healthy.

A comment on recruiting- OSU is getting a lot more 3 and 4 star recruits this year. More than last year. It's a very interesting positive trend if we can land a bunch of them.



One recruit from a JC was just announced, and he could have the worst stats every for a Div-1 Pac-10 scholarship award winner.
Jeremy Francis of El Camino, the 6-1, 220-pound running back accounted for 269 yards and two touchdowns rushing, and 180 yards receiving and a touchdown last season, helping El Camino to the state title game. Uh okay....269? In one game right?

Yes 269 yards and two touchdowns for the season.......WTF?

I played at Santa Rosa JC, and I did that in my first 6 qtrs my freshman year.


No comments: